Assignments

His first assignment was in the Jagst River Valley in the city of Ellwangen, Germany with Elder Middleton. After he broke his leg and ankle on July 18th he was hospitalized for 10 days and then he returned home to recover. He served one transfer in the Albuquerque NM Mission from January 4 - February 15, 2010 and served on the Navajo Reservation with Elder Lee.

He returned to Zurich on February 16, 2010. His first assignment was to serve with Elder King in Offenburg, Germany. The city is located in the Kinzig River Valley and adjacent to the Black Forest. The nearest large town is Strasbourg, France. He then served in a companionship with Elders Baird and Vaniturt in Offenburg.
On June 24th he was called to serve in Heilbronn with Elder Aeschbacher, who is from Switzerland. He is excited to serve with a native German speaker and hopes this will help him improve his language skills. On August 18, 2010 he was transferred to the city of Tubingen and called to be a companion with Elder Mildon.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Prayers for Grandma Sarah & Some Hot Sausages

First, I am sorry to read about Grandma.  I will remember her in my prayers and pray that Heavenly Father knows what is best.  Tell Dad I love him and will be praying for him too.
So the reason I wasn't able to write was because we went to Europa Park again last Monday. One of the members is going away and Elder Owen wanted to say bye to him so the four of us (Me, Owen, Griffes, and VanUitert) went to europa park with Sabastian. He is about 6 foot 5 and about 240 pounds of muscles.  I think he is a lumberjack. So yeah we went there and tried some more rides and watched a King Arthur show thing. We all rooted for the black knight, who was obviously the hero, and he ended up losing so that sucked. But he gave me a high five after the show cause I was cheering for him so loud even though everyone else was booing him (they where just hoping on the king arthur banwagen). I also got a picture of Elder Griffes and I on a rollercoaster.  So I will send that to you after I make a copy for him as well.
Yeah I'm wondering how Mothers Day is going to go since we have four missionaries here in Offenburg and Elder Baird who is the district leader is super strict. He got mad that I practice the guitar from 9:30 to bedtime, even though there is nothing else to do.  H thinks it is breaking the rules somehow.
He also doesn't think we should do anything on p-day except clean. Basically anything fun must be against the rules cause it says missionary 'work' and 'work' must mean we aren't enjoying what we are doing.  I know that you can enjoy 'work'. But anyways Elder Vanuitert is a good mix of obedient but not too obedient, you know, where you live the letter but not the spirit.  But then again I am kinda crazy too so I guess it works out.
Tim is doing way solid and I can't wait to go to his baptism it is all going very well I am just hopeful that we will be able to talk for a long time and will probably give you our cell phone number so that Elder Vanuitert and I can just go somewhere else and I can talk to you.
I did get a package here that included contacts, ties and the medication. I did get the credit card but I am still not very sure about what you want.  I can't find the paper you sent that explains it.  I know the places to get the clocks just not what you want exactly and don't really want to spend money without knowing. Tim's date is on the 5 or 7 of mai, I can't remember which one. He is doing way good. His dad is coming out to visit him and he is having the baptism while his dad is ot here. He set his own date.
We were able to teach 10 lessons last week which is pretty good for us in this area. Its not like an area where zone leaders or anything are which are set up to easily get lessons so it is always good to be able to get some stuff done. Elder Vanuitert does not like to do any finding on Sunday and so we always schedule things on that day so we don't have to do finding. Its more of a set of mind of his and not really has anything to do with work so it doesn't really bug me.
Our days are in a pattern of sorts, we also usually go down to Freiburg on Friday and do our weekly planning on the way and there with them and then we grill and eat. Plus we got three less active young kids that we play basketball with on Monday and soccer on Wensday. Plus there are about 4 investigators we have appointments with every week. So it has been going pretty good going from pretty much 2-3 lessons a week and a lot of fighting (with my previous companion) to a good amount of planned appointments.
President Matern even gave a talk in zone conference about the two different type of missionaries. Finding Missionaries, and Teaching Missionaries. And I got to admit the more I look at it the more it seems like some missionaries can find a ton of people but that is pretty much only because they spend every waking moment talking to everyone and then there are the missionaries that can get good investigators and keep them. President Matern even told us that our two companionships in Offenburg are based on this. It's nice that we have this mix and can rely on each other's talents.
The other companionship is the finding companionship and we are the teaching companionship. So I think it will go good here in Offenburg while we are all here. This week I am writing this email as my weekly since I don't have my planner so i don't know what we did each day.
But I will tell you one thing that I forgot about last week and has been added onto this week. We found the spicest thing I have ever tasted! It is curry wurst. There is a place in Freiburg that sells this curry wurst and they have 9 levels of how spicy you can get it. Since I have never had a single spicy thing out here so far I decided I would order a level 9.  I figured that after eating green chile all my life, it can't be hotter than that. They wouldn't sell it to me. So I had to get a level 8. Ok, so you know spicyness is measured by btu's. Jalepeno's are around 80,000 btu's i believe. anyways 1 wurst in this is level 8 is at 600,000 btu's! I was crying almost instantly after eating one. We had to take it home cause I couldn't eat anymore and later I ate three just so I could say that I had eaten 3. Elder Owen heard that I had eaten 3 and made a film of him eating 5! So naturally this last week after district meeting I had to reclaim my record. So me and Elder Owen and our district and zone leaders all went to this place and we ordered us some more level 8's. Elder Owen ended up eating 11 I ate 13! So I am yet again the record holder! (by the way it hurts eating it, it hurts in your stomach, and it hurts exiting). So since we had eaten the level 8's at the place and the guy that made it saw us do it I asked him if he would let us have a lvl 9 next time. He laughed and said he would even make a lvl 12 for us.
He then explained that the sauce that makes it so hot is only about 1 tablespoon mixed with 1 liter of tomato sauce in order to make a level 8! 1 tablespoon to 1 liter! Oh man. So yeah anyways we broke some sort of record out here cause he told us germans don't usually order anything over a lvl 5 which is about 60,000 btu's. Go America! So in about an hour we are going back there and Elder Owen will eat a level 9 but I will not because we are going to play basketball for 3 hours with some less actives and investigators so I have decided I would rather not get sick. But best of luck to him. The guy said we could by this sauce and I am thinking of buying some and sending it home but I kind of think it's got to be illegal. It is just too hot. There is a few challenges back in the states like the blazing challenge at buffalo wild wings that I now want to do since I have read about them all and they are probably kids play in comparison. So yeah.
But other than that we have had a good spritually uplifing week. Hope everything is still going great there. Love you,
Elder Hargett

No comments:

Post a Comment