Assignments

His first assignment was in the Jagst River Valley in the city of Ellwangen, Germany with Elder Middleton. After he broke his leg and ankle on July 18th he was hospitalized for 10 days and then he returned home to recover. He served one transfer in the Albuquerque NM Mission from January 4 - February 15, 2010 and served on the Navajo Reservation with Elder Lee.

He returned to Zurich on February 16, 2010. His first assignment was to serve with Elder King in Offenburg, Germany. The city is located in the Kinzig River Valley and adjacent to the Black Forest. The nearest large town is Strasbourg, France. He then served in a companionship with Elders Baird and Vaniturt in Offenburg.
On June 24th he was called to serve in Heilbronn with Elder Aeschbacher, who is from Switzerland. He is excited to serve with a native German speaker and hopes this will help him improve his language skills. On August 18, 2010 he was transferred to the city of Tubingen and called to be a companion with Elder Mildon.

Monday, July 19, 2010

The Pecking Order of Gorillas

So this last week was a pretty good one. We got to go do some contacting of some referrals on Monday. No one was there but it was still good to go out and go around. On Tuesday we had our district meeting in Stuttgart and then our interviews with President Condie. It was nice to meet with him. He had planned on taking 15 minutes a person but some people took over an hour and so we got in really late and had to stay around for a while, Pretty much our whole day took place there at the youth center in Stuttgart waiting but it was still cool Elder Aeschbacher and I got our interviews before we had to go so it was nice.
Elder Aeschbacher is going to the doctors on Wednesday to get his hernia checked out and then next week they are doing the surgery on it. Don’t know yet, didn’t hear, about if I will get another companion for a while but I’m guessing I’m getting another companion for a day but I got no idea what happens after that.
We went by Frau Boger (the lady who cant get baptised yet because of her children and money issues) she is getting closer to start getting the money from the government she is supposed to get. Our investigator Arisa met with us on Friday. We decided we would talk to him about baptism before we went but when we got there we saw him smoking which he had said he had stopped and at first we were kinda disappointed. We went in to talk to him and the first thing he told us was that he knew he had to get baptised and had to stop smoking so he could. We were way shocked. We told him we would help him stop smoking and then he could get baptised. We havn’t set a date yet but we are going to start the stop smoking workshop with him this week.
On Sunday the members brought food for a party after church. While they were getting ready a family came in and at first I thought they were just some less-active family that came to eat or something. When I went to greet them though the dad asked what sort of belief we had and what we do. I gave him a super short tour of the church and pretty much sounded like an idiot. I was just like "here is the pulpit.... this is where the bishop sits..... some one gives a talk..... i mean the bishop doesn’t but someone does..... someone he calls...... but its different every time....." after them looking confused and me looking stupid I went and got the high priest group leader in our ward. He is a way cool guy and explained everything better. We also bore our testiomnys to them and they took two book of mormons and said they would come next week.  The dad explained his father had met some really nice missionaries a long time ago that had done some service for him. His dad never got taught but he always remembered them. Now his son is interested because of that! Just another example of being willing to do service no matter what, even if the person doesn’t have interest.
After that we went by a lady the elders met at a street display. When we got inside she pulled out a paper of notes she had written down and how after reading the book of mormon and it answered some of those questions. We had put on a sheet inside the book with questions too. She was way excited. We taught her the first lesson about the restoration, the church, and prayer. At the end we asked her if she would pray to know if the book of mormon was true, that there was prophets on the earth, and that Joseph Smith did see God the father and his son Jesus christ. She was just like "Well I already know its true but yeah Ill pray about it" it was way cool. We are meeting her again this week on Friday we might talk about baptism and temples and some stuff that we do as members and about the example of Jesus Christ. It will be awesome!
BTW, could you give Kevin my address and get his MTC one as soon as he goes in? My favorite letters I got in the MTC were actually the ones I got from Grant when I started writing him. I wish I would have been better about it cause it was probably one of the things I actually liked a lot in the MTC was writing people out on their missions and seeing the pictures Grant sent me.
So mom, why did you not write a good letter this week? and why is dad interested in the pecking order of gorillas all of a sudden? Is he going to try to punch me when I get back? cause I will just go to somewhere else and punch another person if he does. Lol. I don’t know if I have gotten some of my mail though cause we haven’t gotten any for two weeks and we just recently put up the German alpine sign on our mail box so I’m not sure if we did or didn’t get them because they were addressed to Zurich mission or Alpine or if we just didn’t get any this week but just so you know if you did send something I didn’t get it. So yeah, Elder Blomquist is in my district. I have been in my new district for over a month now. I g2g hope you have a great week. Anything cool you guys have gotten into by the way? seen any movies, new shows, etc?
I don’t really know what else to say. It seems kinda short but that is about all I can think of. I hope everything is going great for everyone! Love you all - Elder Hargett

No comments:

Post a Comment